Some have started this project and some haven’t… no worries… I figured I should at least be working it out to pave the way for the rest of us.
Here are some photos of the Herringbone Clutch that some of us are knitting together. I decided to use WigWam by Colinette. Even though the color seemed like it was weak when viewing the skein… when knit up it I love the color and feeling to it. The stitch is so beautiful that I don’t think one can go wrong with any yarn choice! I knit this while in the hospital last week and made some mental notes… oh do I wish I wrote them down because now it’s tough to remember but I’ll give it a try.
I started this project a few times because I couldn’t understand how it was supposed to work. The pattern says to work the Herringbone stitch pattern for 16 rows before shaping for the clutch handle… each direction of the arrow (herringbone) is 12 rows… so this meant that working 16 rows would be a complete first side of the arrow but only 1/3 of the other side of the arrow.
So smarty pants (me) looked at the photo and didn’t like how my version compared to it and decided to work the total of 24 rows before working the rows for the creation the handle for the clutch. Well…. of course this meant more rows resulting in the second side of the arrow being much longer than the first… not supposed to be.
But when I folded it.. you couldn’t detect this difference. I decided that I like this approach and kept it even though it was incorrect according to the pattern… here’s why: I liked the wider handle this gave me for the handle AND I felt that the pattern ‘looked like’ it was ending at the end of the Herringbone pattern instead of midway.
Another observation… the tension of the two sides of the slit for the handle is different… this happens all the time in knitting… we see it in socks, necklines, mittens etc. I’m not going to worry about it and tidy it up with some extra stitching in the end.
I have completed close to the whole front side. This is a lot of knitting because of the slip stitches in the pattern. When stitches are slipped they don’t advance in rows… so two rows need to be worked to advance one row. I do think it’s worth the extra work though… can’t wait to get to the embroidery.